Baby Kate is Great!

Saturday, August 23, 2008

As many of you now already know Christy and I are now the proud parents of a Beautiful little girl named Kate Lyn Moffitt, or as I like to call her Kate the Great. I know that as a parent I'm likely a little biased but she is stunningly beautiful and oh so much fun. I'm seriously thinking of asking her pediatrician if she has a chronic case of "cute baby disease" because it seems to be getting worse everyday (read: she is getting cuter by the day). So I'll try to breeze past the boring false alarm stuff and get right to the good stuff. On Thursday the 14th Christy spent the day with her Mom and while they were strolling through Costco she told her Mom that her contractions were getting closer together and starting to hurt, so being the worry-wort that I am I made her to go the hospital that night. The nurse did her thing and announced that Christy hadn't really made too much progress from her previous doctors appointment and was in the process of sending us home when our Doctor (see previous post about Doctor Drama) came in and asked us if we'd like to break Christy's water and get this thing started... We were in SHOCK. Neither of us really expected to go into labor that day, we thought of this visit as a dress rehearsal for the real thing. Anyway Christy decided against having her water broken with the idea that we would be back within a day or so for the real thing. I took Friday off work with the idea that I needed to "be prepared" (I am a scout leader now so what do you expect). Our biggest mistake was telling people that we had gone to the Doctor. All of a sudden every person we knew was calling to find out if we were having our baby. Lesson to others, don't cry "BABY!" until you are admitted to the hospital, you will save a lot of frustration. So nothing happened until Saturday which frustrated me since I had taken Friday off work. On Saturday Christy's contractions were 2 minutes apart and we made the trip to the hospital again. This time we expected to actually stay and we were surprised that her contractions hadn't moved her along very far. When our Dr. came in again we were almost positive that his previous offer to break Christy's water was still good, we were wrong. He was VERY busy and since she wasn't really in "labor" yet they gave Christy a shot to help with the pain and sent us home. The nurse said she'd bet we'd be back in 24 hours so we started scheming again about how we should be back any second for the real thing. So long story short, nothing until Tuesday. On Tuesday Christy wakes up at 6:00 am in pain but when we call the "on call" doctor at the hospital he tells us that the pain Christy is having is her body getting ready for labor and it's not REAL labor yet. With the reassurance of a on call doctor who is probably working the graveyard shift to pay off his student loans I decided to go to work. I was at work for 10 min when Christy calls me and says that she had spoken to her wise older sister who said, "forget the doctor, you're in labor". Sure enough by the time I drove home, picked up Christy, drove to the hospital, and got checked in, Christy was dialated to a 5 and they told us to get comfortable because we were going to have a baby. Well since it was Andy's birthday we had hoped to avoid August 19th, but I guess Baby Kate had a different idea. Christy's epidural came at 12:30 and her water was broken at around 3:00pm with her dilated to an 8. After 2 good hours of pushing (Christy is my Hero) we welcomed Baby Kate into the world at 5:20 pm. She weighed 7 pounds 10 ounces and was 20 inches long. Although things didn't go a smoothly as we might have wanted Christy is feeling better every day and Baby Kate couldn't be any more perfect than she already is. We appreciate all the Family and Friends that have called, visited, or simply sent their regards. Sorry we couldn't talk to everyone, we were averaging at least 5 text messages an hour for the first few days and we were both pretty tired. Baby Kate is keeping us up pretty good in the night and we are both pretty tired so I think I'll cut this short for now and skip right to the pictures. Perhaps when we're up to it we'll post a progress report.



Christy getting ready.


Baby Kate fresh out of the oven.

"Mom, you'll never believe the day I've had"


Our little family

Looking especially Cute

She spends at least 90% of her day showing us this face

Dad is only too happy to help with the baby.

How many adults does it take to buckle a newborn?

The dynamic duo... Kate and her cousin Brewer.



Oh and by the way, we finally finished our basement... Here's those pictures. I didn't include any of the 2 bedrooms but just use your imagination and I'm sure you can figure it out.



The downstairs bathroom




The family room and fireplace

Laundry room... ooh look how glamorous.



Shot of Christy's salon.


10 comments:

Justin and Melissa said...

Congrats on the baby, she is cute. Hope you are feeling well and heal quickly (I decided that the recovery stuff was the worst part). The house looks good also.

Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie said...

She is so beautiful!!! You look wonderful and I love knowing we are both mamas now!!!

Lori said...

Congrats you guys. She is beautiful. I am glad it all worked out in the end. Sounds like a long, drawn out labor though. Way to be strong. Good luck these next few weeks. Hopefully Kate will be a good sleeper. Keep us posted.

Ixchelle said...

Congrats! I know you will be terrific parents! She is a pretty little thing. :)

Toni said...

She is just adorable! The end.

P.S. the basement looks fabulous, I can't wait to see it! Oh, and also, Christy: I've never seen anyone look so perfect after having a baby. Did you pack your salon in your hospital bag? ;)

Rob and Katie said...

Congratulations guys! She's a keeper!

Hey, how was the reunion Moffitt?

Amber said...

Congrats! She is a doll! I love the dark hair! Enjoy...they grow up so fast!

lynnie said...

Ok! You are amazing...your baby is cute and so is your husband (if I may say so...I think it is ok to say things like that if you are 50!!??) I heard a rumor that you were back to work already.....it better be a rumor!!!!!!!

Thom and Laci Quist said...

Hey Congratulations. She is beautiful. I am so excited for you. Christy you look great for just after having a baby. I am so jealous. Enjoy her. They don't stay that small for long.
Laci